Golf in the Carson Valley
Carson City and the Carson Valley are becoming the capital of year-round golf destinations. Forgiving fairways, tight approaches, strategic water hazards, and large greens make up these golf courses.
The Carson Valley has become home to “The Divine Nine,” a golfer’s haven that includes 171 holes of championship golf, spread across 70,000 yards of scenic terrain. These greens can encourage beginners and challenge the pros.
Golf the Divine Nine in the High Sierra! Courses that make up the Divine Nine are:
- Carson Valley: The cool rush of the Carson River, the natural shade of century-old Cottonwood trees and the longest golfing season in the area give this course a unique character.
- Dayton Valley: This Arnold Palmer-designed golf course features scenic layouts meandering gracefully over sculpted links-style fairways. Strategically placed lakes and bunkers accent huge greens.
- Eagle Valley West: The West winds along the base of the foothills and the fairways are lined with natural high-desert vegetation, making for some magnificent views. This picturesque links-style golf course puts a premium on accuracy and shot making-a true risk and reward experience.
- Eagle Valley East: The East is a fun and challenging course for the beginner and intermediate golfers. Although this is a great course for walking, there are few cart paths; carts are allowed just about everywhere. If your group contains golfers of varying experience, this is the course to play.
- Empire Ranch: Sheltered between the bluffs on 250 acres, this 27-hole, championship course overlooks the Carson River and is enhanced by numerous lakes and wetlands.
- Genoa Lakes: Rated “3rd Best Course in the State” and annually rated one of the top courses on the West Coast. Genoa Lakes features 18 championship holes in a magnificent natural setting winding along the Carson River and framed by the awe-inspiring Sierra Nevada Mountains.
- Genoa Resort: The Genoa Lakes Golf Resort, carved into the majestic Sierra Nevada Mountains, just 25 minutes from Lake Tahoe, is a truly memorable golf experience. Homesteaded in the 1850s, this authentic cattle ranch is an ideal setting for this masterpiece created by the golf legend Johnny Miller and architect John Harbottle.
- Silver Oak: Nestled in northwest Carson City the 18 scenic holes wind through the Silver Oak residential community and the Sierra Foothills. This public golf course is spread out over 150 acres, features 5 sets of tees making Silver Oak enjoyable for golfers of all ages and skill levels.
- Sun Ridge: With unique topography, elevated tees and sloping fairways, this 7,000-yard, par-72 championship course winds through the breathtaking vistas of the Carson Valley.